Planning & Zoning

Chris Schuettler,
Storm Water Issues, Code Enforcement & Litter Complaints:

Kristin Powell: 423-518-4105

Building Inspections:

Tony Gouge 423-518-4103 or 

Steve Murray 423-518-4102


(423) 542-1834
(423) 542-3469 Fax


300 N. Main St.
Elizabethton, TN 37643

Hours of Operation:

8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Building Permits:

8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.


The Carter County Planning Office is responsible for the administration of the overall County wide Planning Program, planning for the physical development and growth of the County. This responsibility includes comprehensive planning; implementation of County zoning, subdivision and Critical Area regulations; commercial/industrial site plan review and approval; residential building permit review, approval and administration; Litter Ordinance implementation and administration, floodplain review (FEMA), and agricultural land preservation programs.

The Office provides support staff and administration to numerous boards and commissions including the Carter County Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, and the Park and Recreation Board. Other services performed include administration of local, state and federal grant projects and programs and providing information on a daily basis of the general public concerning the regulation of land use in Carter County. We also provide assistance to the EMA office in the development of the Hazard Mitigation Plan for Carter County.

Office personnel are available Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm to provide assistance to Carter County residents and the general public.

Planning Commission

  • Robert Burrough
  • Dr. Robert Acuff
  • Steve Stevenson
  • Jerry Smith 
  • Bobbie Gouge-Dietz
  • Amy Pate
  • Ginger Holdren
  • Sonja Culler 
  • Kelly Collins


  • A-1 Agriculture and agriculturally oriented uses and structures
  • A-1A Same as A-1 district except that rural mobile home parks are allowed
  • A-1B Same intent and standards of the A-1A district except that no setbacks are required for homes and mobile homes on individual lots

  • R-1 (Low density) This is the most restricted residential district, intended for low density single-family use
  • R-2 (Medium density) medium density residential development including single-family residential development and density multiple family apartment uses
  • R-3 (High density) areas of high density residential development including any R-@ use, boarding and rooming houses, mobile home parks (with regulations)

  • B-1 permits anything allowed in R-3, grocery stores, drug stores, barber shops, laundry and dry cleaning, pickup stations, laundromats, shoe repair shops, hardware stores, commercial nurseries, gasoline service stations and similar uses
  • B-2 permits any use from B-1, wholesale business, warehouses, storage yards and storage buildings, automobile service and repair establishments, bottling operations, bakeries, stockyards, and flea markets
  • B-3 permits any use from B-1, hotels, motels, automobile sales and service, mobile home sales, personal, business, professional offices, restaurants, funeral homes, and places of amusement and assembly

  • M-1 permits any use from B-2 or B-3 except alcoholic beverages, any industry which does not cause injurious or obnoxious noise, vibrations, smoke, gas, fumes, odors, dust, fire hazard, or other objectionable conditions in the planning commission’s opinion, trucking terminals, railroad yards, wholesale business, warehouses, storage yards and buildings, bottling and packaging operations, and bakeries
  • M-2 permits any use from M-1, lots or yards for scrap or salvage operations, meat product manufacturing, dying and finishing of textiles, paper and allied products manufacturing, chemical manufacturing, rubber and misc. products manufacturing, and non-hazardous solid waste manufacturing with provisions.

Board of Zoning Appeals

  • Brad Johnson
  • Jeff Treadway
  • William Birchfield
  • David Sandora
  • L.C. Tester
Environmental Services

For environmental assessment and related services including permits (water well, septic system, etc.), inspection records, etc., please contact Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) at:

2305 Silverdale Dr, Johnson City, TN 37601

(423) 854-5400